Book Review: McMafia - Misha Glenny

Crossing the Blues, University of the Nations, Social Work and Education, Shop Clothes Online, Radiology Information Social Work and Education This is a bit of a first for me so let me know what you think and whether it's something you'd like to see more of. I've always loved reading, it's something my sisters and my mama and I have always done and enjoyed, however since beginning to work my reading speed has dropped off and I've found myself not making the time to read. I've been trying to change this of late and got through a few books on holiday and am trying to go to bed earlier so I can read before bed. Anyhow less of my reading habits and more on the book I am going to try and review!

This might seem a strange choice, so I'll explain, J bought it when we were heading off to Sicily. I wasn't that interested at first, until he kept telling me things that he had read and I kept reading over his shoulder... So I decided to read it for myself. And boy am I glad I did.

It's an incredibly well written and fascinating book. Although non-fiction (which I don't normally go for) there are a lot of real life examples and interviews with people who you can't quite believe exist. I also found it completely eye-opening. I like to think of myself as not too naive but having read this I feel very green around the ears about all things worldly.

Misha Glenny makes great arguments for simple changes in policy which could have huge impacts and I came away from the book feeling that every politician and world leader should read this, if only to see the error of their ways in some situations.

It has also made me think a lot more about how we deal with policing drugs and the dugs trade. And having recently read a great FT magazine article about this and watched a documentary about Crystal Meth in Fresno, CA, by Louis Theroux my thinking around drug policy has changed.

To sum up, I would wholeheartedly recommend this book if you haven't already read it. It is a great read, gripping, informative and even in some places funny.